Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup


In celebration of Cinco de Mayo, I thought I would share my favorite Mexican recipe with you all. Normally, I am not a fan of Mexican food because I can't handle spicy foods. However, after slightly modifying a recipe I found on Homade by Holman, I cannot get enough of it! It's the perfect blend of ingredients with the right amount of spiciness. My modified version is below, but if you're looking for the original recipe, click here.


Ingredients:
3 cups of chicken stock
2 skinless, chicken breasts
2 tsp of ground cumin
2 tsp of ancho chili powder
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
1 green bell peppers, minced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 15oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups of frozen corn
1/2 cup of tomato paste
4 oz of pepperjack cheese, cubed
Cheddar cheese, grated, add as desired
Tortilla chips


Directions:
In a large pot, add chicken stock and cook over medium heat. Add chicken breasts (I like to marinate already cooked chicken and return it to the soup later), cumin and chili powder. Simmer about 20 - 25 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, onion and garlic to the pot. Simmer about 30 minutes, covered, until tomatoes have begun to break down. Add black beans, corn, and tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Add cheddar cheese and pepperjack cheese as desired, and stir to melt. Return chicken to soup and cook about 20 more minutes until your desired consistency is reached. Serve with crushed tortilla chips and some cheddar cheese grated on top. I hope you enjoy and have a happy Cinco de Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment