Friday, May 11, 2012

Keep Calm and Do Pilates

For the past seven or eight months I have been a devoted kickboxing fan; however, my kickboxing classes have been cancelled for the past three weeks. For those of you who workout on a regular basis, you know it's really difficult to stop exercising after having done so for a long period of time. So, in order to keep up with my fitness, I have been going to a Mat Pilates class at my gym! This may seem boring to some people, but trust me that this will take your workout to the next level. Pilates is a resistance exercise that focuses on improving flexibility, strength, and body awareness without building bulk. Two key elements of Pilates are core muscle strength and spinal alignment. During a session, you will concentrate deeply on your core muscles, as well as on your breath, the contraction of your muscles, and the quality of your movements. If you are looking for an alternative to weight lifting or for a resistance exercise, I would highly recommend taking a Pilates class. Even though I don't burn as many calories as I do with kickboxing, I found all of the claimed benefits to be true. After only one class, I felt a noticeable difference in the strength of my core; enough of a difference to convince me to add this class to my regular workout plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment