Monday, August 13, 2012

Dog Eared Pages

I take the train into the city every day and read to pass the time. My sister is an avid reader and has a massive collection of books. She was kind enough let me borrow them; however, when I returned them, she refused to lend me another one. Supposedly, I ruin her books by bending the pages. So, I am using her as inspiration and am officially naming my book reviews "Dog Eared Pages." With that said, here is my review on Kathryn Sockett's, The Help.  

The Help takes place in Jackson, Mississippi when segregation was considered normal. The story is told by three people: Aibileen, the African-American nanny who has raised seventeen white children in her lifetime, Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan, the college graduate who finds the racism unacceptable, and Minny Jackson, Aibileen's best friend and maid who has a reputation of giving her white employers an attitude. The story revolves around Skeeter's idea to write a book about what it's really like to live in Jackson as a maid. She interviews Aibileen and Minny, and soon after, many other maids, about their experiences of taking care of white families. Along the way, these women form a close relationship that must be kept private, or else they face serious punishment. Stockett creates this story in a way that connects each character with the other. They are strong, bold, funny women who come together to fight for what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment